Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hidden Treasure



I sketch on EVERYTHING!!! Paper, envelopes, bills...if there's something to sketch on, and something that writes in the vicinity of where I'm sitting, chances are I'll sketch on it. And because of this, it's fun to find hidden treasures that I've drawn thru the years. Like this...for example.

Years ago, when I was getting bored writing I DIG DUG stories, and the characters for LOST ON EARTH were still floating around my head, I drew this little gem...ON THE BACK OF TWO I DIG DUG COMICS!!! I just happened to be scanning the last of the IDD comics for the ultimate digital archive, and when I took a few IDD comics out of their sleeve, I came across this. How fun!!!

I'm guessing this was an early character sketch of Allen, Dr. Skwidd, and Fishtarr around 2007 or 2008. The IDD comics that this was sketched on weren't dated...but it was towards the end of my run with IDD. Sooo...I'm guessing 07-08ish...in that vicinity. Anyway...as you can see, the 'final versions' of the characters are close to this, but I really wish I had come across this sooner. I really dig the way I drew Allen's torso and boots. And Fishtarr's mask looks a little more 'slick' here. At this point, I'm too far into the process of generating LOE material to change it, but I suppose subtle changes as the strip progresses might be in order. :)

dug!

No comments: