Wednesday, July 7, 2010

LOE 012



Writing comics is tough. Let me rephrase that. Writing a long and winding road story for short little comic strips is tough. The whole process is mind numbing. When I write for LOE, I don't really pause to think. I just write. And as I write, some things work, and others don't come close. Typically I'll write 15-20 strips, and then rewrite 10-12 of those for actual strips. Then as I'm sketching out the new strips, those 10-12 get rewritten and/or condensed down to 5-8. So I end up using 8 strips out of 20 that I wrote. And sometimes through this process long stories get condensed into short stories. For example, the introduction of Sudoku and Dr. Skwidd's passion for it.

There were originally about 10 strips that dealt with Dr. Skwidd and Sudkoku. But after I started sketching them, I just wasn't 'feeling' them. So some I scrapped all together, some I merged with others, and in the end I think I have a total of 4 strips of those 10 that I ended up using. And in that process...I think the comic that I titled LOE 012 should actually be LOE 011, and 011 should be 012. It's hard to know for sure since I reshuffled things (you should see the notes I take on my writing...it's amazing I manage to do ANYTHING!), but I'm pretty sure these last two strips are out of order. Read 'em again...what do you think???

-dug!

No comments: