Tuesday, July 5, 2011

"Maybe I Should Rephrase That"



Fishtarr is slowly becoming one of my favorite characters to write. Which is odd because originally he was just a side character. Someone I created to help with the overall story, but not one I thought would take such a front seat in my writing. At first, he was just there for comic effect. Especially given that he talks in some weird language that we aren't privy to understanding. However, as I continue to write him, it's becoming quite obvious to me that he is a very important character.

I wish I could somehow document my writing form because it's interesting. I literally sit down with a pen and paper and just write comics. And as I write, new character traits slowly appear for all of the characters. After I write about five stories, I reread them, keep a few, and trash the rest, and then write 5-8 more branching off from the two that I kept. I do this for roughly an hour, or off and on during the course of an evening. And through this process, Fishtarr has really become a central, leading character. He is no longer just the background character I had intended for him.

So here he is, ready to take the Earth's Twinkies by whatever means necessary. Allen, realizing that Fishtarr's interpretation of those few words might be a little different than what he meant. You have to remember...despite his silly language and comical appearance, Fishtarr is a bounty hunter by trade and he gets the job done...by whatever means necessary. It's up to Allen and Dr. Skwidd to keep Fishtarr in check so he doesn't destroy the whole human race in the process.

-dug!

No comments: